Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Home Sweet Apartment (The Cozy)

  

   Around this time every year, when the cold weather sets in and the holiday jitters begin, I find myself always craving a change in my surroundings; a transformation into something warm, cozy, and welcoming. I think that is something some of us feel when the outdoor chill sets in. There are so many decorating concepts that go hand-in-hand with cozy atmosphere that are so much more than just keeping your space temperature warm and having hoards of blankets always on hand. While those are both important aspects to surviving this time of hibernation in our homes, there are several steps that are very important to me in achieving a snug and inviting atmosphere: bringing the outdoors in, combining textures, surrounding myself with things I love, and creating DIY projects that fill my pad with my individual flair.

Lets begin!

Bringing the outdoors in: This is almost always the first step I start on once I have competed the basics to creating a living space. I grew up in the country with large spaces of free land, trees, and every sort of nature. I think that is what makes this step so near and dear to my heart. I've been so happy to see how nature has become a very popular addition to what is considered a "modern home".
So, there are some easy and special ways to add some outdoor spice to your indoor life. :)

                  “I felt my lungs inflate with the onrush of scenery—air, mountains, trees, people.                                                                  I thought, "This is what it is to be happy.”
                                                                ― Sylvia Plath, The Bell Jar 


I love birch wood and the textures it can bring into an often stagnant and sterile apartment atmosphere. There is little to no care that really goes into having birch accessories, thus I found them the easiest to decorate with -- plus I just love how exotic they look. P.s. I always keep fresh hydrangeas on hand. :)


 Combining Textures:
We all see it, and most all of us love it. When the weather gets cold, people start pinning texture photographs of things like crochet socks, beanies, boots with legwarmers, tweed and knit, etc. and it's beautiful! I have always had an affinity for photographs such as these. Something about them is charming and nostalgic and yet so tangible. After a while, I started to realize that you can implement those tactile texture on texture looks in your home space to give that same dreamy feel.  

Surrounding yourself with things you love:
This is the easiest step of all. Basically for this step, all you have to do is choose one specific item, color, animal, artist etc. and use that as a main theme in your apartment! For me, I love foxes (hence the blog title), so I have not so subtly spread fox decor all throughout my apartment! 


 DIYs: 
Last but not least, we have DIY's. This may be something that isn't very important to you in your home, and there is nothing at all wrong with that. I happen to be a bit of a do-it-yourself person, so I love to have little decorations and nick-knacks that I have made on my own. To me, having things DIY decor in the home, just adds even more of yourself in your space so that whether you are there or not, a little "piece" of you is. :)
 

DIY "vogue" Magazine holder
DIY post card wall decor, hung with twine and colored thumb tacks.
 That is all to my "apartment" series on cozy home! Soon I'll have updates for those who already own a house and want to build this same idea of environment and do it in a cohesive adult manner. ;)


 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment